Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Time for our big trip!

Sorry for the delay in posting. I have been a little busy getting all out documents ready for our first trip to Ghana. We leave on the 7th of July which is a week from today. My arm is still sore from all the shots I got on Monday. I think we'll be protected from most things except Denge fever which there is no vaccine or medication for. I think I'll be going through a lot of bug spray! I had no idea how many illnesses there could be curtailed if they figured out how to control the mosquitos. We are packing two large suitcases full of notebooks and pencils, clothes, jolly ranchers, and toys to donate to the kids in the village and of course gifts for Stephani. I want to get her family something but I'm not sure what to get. Yes I will be meeting her biological family. I am totally nervous about that. On Saturday we will travel to the village where Stephani was born. I get to hand out the clothes, toys, school supplies, and the candy to the children there. I am looking forward to that. I am sure this trip will be life changing. The hotel we are stying in looks really cool. The only thing is that there are lizards that come into your room. At least it's not snakes. ;) There is little hot water and the beach that will be very close is too dirty for us to swim in although I've been told that all the locals still swim there on the weekends. We are not supposed to go anywhere at night. We have to keep cash on us and copies of our passports under our clothes. It's hard not to get a little nervous about all those things. We aren't supposed to eat anything from vendors on the street and of course we can't drink the water or have any ice or anything that hasn't been cooked that we haven't washed with bottled water. I'm not a very clean maticulous person so I am just expecting to get sick. I've packed a lot of imodium.
Well I guess that's all. Wish me luck. I probably won't post until we get back because I'm a little busy getting ready. Have a great day!!!!

3 comments:

Megan Davenport Cannon said...

Wow Julie that is SO exciting! That is awesome that you are adopting and it will be such a neat experience I am sure to be able to bless the lives of other children in her village while you are there. Can't wait to see pics when you get home! Safe travels!

Jenni said...

Have safe travels! That is such a neat thing that you are doing. My thoughts and prayers will be with you as you travel.

♥The Balzens♥ said...

Good luck with everything!! It takes certain people of strength to do what you are doing. What a neat family!!