Friday, November 6, 2009

Call me Crazy... Everyone Else Does!

So I guess I'm still not busy enough. #1 man and I have been feeling like we need to do foster care lately. In UT it takes about three months to qualify so I would be able to get things ready before we would actually have more children in our home. I don't know why this is something we need to do. I am terrified. My parents did foster care for about six years while I was growing up and I remember how hard it was. The children need lots of extra care and love and they are challenging to dicipline because of many instances of abuse and neglect. They can have physical problems because of parent's drug or alchohol use during pregnancy and because of physical abuse in early development. In UT they also expect that if a child needs a permanent home you will become the adoptive parents for those children already in your home so they are very careful about placement. The police do their recording of the case in a seperate place so you don't have to be present when they document the abuse so that will be good. I always hated that process. The compensation is better than Idaho so I think money wise we'll be fine and if we have a child under the age of five which we probably will they qualify for WIC so that will also help. In order to qualify I have to take 32 hours of in class training. I'm glad because I don't think my parents had to do those classes until later. Hopefully they will help.
Well I am sure I will need lots of encouraging words as this is a very daunting idea. I have no idea how we will juggle it all but I know that it is what the Lord wants for our family.

I can do hard things with the Lord's help!

And with all of yours as well. Pray for me. I'll need it!

6 comments:

Just Only Me said...

You're amazing!! NOT crazy. Well, most days. :)

I can't imagine better foster parents, you guys will do a great job!

Megan Davenport Cannon said...

Wow Julie that really is daunting, and amazing. Following the Lord's will for you and your family doesn't make you crazy though! It makes you awesome :)

Brooke said...

I think you are amazing! You will be blessed for your diligence.

MKB said...

Okay crazy! You really are an amazing person to do that. I have thought about it but I could NEVER do it. You will rock!

singing/granny said...

You go girl! Just kidding. I think you are amazing already, but remember foster care is about the hardest thing I ever did....and the most rewarding!!! But I still have guilt about every spanking:) So be sure your timing is according to what the Lord wants for your family. Love you as always!!

Simplymom said...

People think we are crazy for wanting to adopt from foster care too. So I understand how you feel. You could always start homeschooling-- then you would really be weird!!!

I'm so glad you are posting more!!!!